BCU coaching qualifications do not have an expiry date, so once you have gained an award, you will never “lose” that qualification. However as an active coach, you should:
- Hold a current first aid certificate, of a level required by your qualifications (see pre-requisites listed in the pages relating to your awards if you are unsure of the level of first aid training you require).
- Be a comprehensive member of Canoe Wales (if you are not a member, you will not be covered by our insurance).
- Have current and up to date knowledge on the latest best practices: in both safety and coaching elements. The way in which this is officially recognised is through a process called revalidation.
- Hold an enhanced disclosure (e.g. CRB check) – required by all coaches by December 2010
- Have completed appropriate Child Protection training – required by all coaches by December 2010
Should you have let you membership and update status lapse, you are able to reinstate as a coach on the following basis:
If your membership has lapsed for a period of less than 3 years:
You can reactivate your qualifications by paying the current year’s membership plus a £15.00 administration fee and by completing the coach update requirements outlined above.
If your membership has lapsed for a period of more than 3 years:
If the lapsed period exceeds 3 years, you must pay the current year’s membership fee, the £15.00 administration fee, plus a £20.00 fee to cover revalidation. Revalidation at this point will come in the form of an individual action plan devised by the National Development Officer or Coach Education Co-ordinator
to get you up to speed with current best practice and the new scheme which will include a workshop or working alongside a course provider. Costs for workshops may be extra.
If you held assessor or provider statuses:
Reinstatement of whatever assessor status you held is not automatic and the action plan given will depend on the number of years that you have been inactive as a coach or how long the membership has been lapsed.
Click here to download a reinstatement form
, once completed these should be returned to the Canoe Wales office
or emailed to the National Development Officer or Coach Education Co-ordinator